- Job Id
- Job Type
- Regular, Full time
- 300 South Riverside Plaza
Suite 200 South
Chicago, IL 60606
- 67 days ago
The IT Product Owner has the responsibility to understand ABC customer and associate needs, business processes, and IT systems to support the development of Digital products to meet those needs. The IT Product Owner will work with business sponsors, customers, and associates to determine the product roadmap and will document business rules, interface requirements, and product user stories. The IT Product Owner serves as the conduit between the customer community and the software development team through which requirements and product capabilities are assessed and balanced. The IT Product Owner maintains continuous involvement in the product throughout the product’s life cycle.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Capture and assess high-level business requirements for a potential product, working with business stakeholders, customers, and Architecture.
- Produce a gap analysis on areas where the product capabilities do not meet the business needs. Work with the business sponsor and Architecture to address any gaps.
- Work with business stakeholders and Enterprise Architecture to assess buy vs build and to select a “best fit” product if the “buy” direction is pursued.
- Work with the business sponsor to determine the desired product roadmap. Represent the “voice of the customer” in conveying the product vision within IT.
- Work with the Enterprise Architecture team to ensure the product roadmap aligns with the Enterprise Architecture roadmap.
- Understand dependencies with other systems in terms of content, frequency, and method. Document and socialize these dependencies with impacted teams.
Product Delivery Phase
- Document business rules and product user stories and convey these to the product team for use in product development.
- Document interface requirements with any dependent systems.
- Maintain continuous engagement with stakeholders, ensuring solution aligns with expectations.
- Verify that the product team understands product use cases and is taking these into account during product development, thereby ensuring that the product is providing value for the end customers and business stakeholders.
- Assist QA during product testing to confirm expected results.
- Engage business stakeholders to perform user acceptance testing according to a standardized and structured process.
- Prioritize changes and defects in the product backlog to ensure development is working on the right things in the right order.
- Assist with the development and validation of any training materials.
- Work with IT and business stakeholders to define expectations for product uptime, responsiveness, support, etc.
Pilot, Rollout, and Post-Production Phases
- Work with the product team to determine releases, coordinate these to meet stakeholder needs, and ensure communications are planned for impacted users and support personnel.
- Maintain regular checkpoints with business stakeholders, ensuring open issues are prioritized.
- Maintain awareness of product updates and releases and communicate these to business stakeholders. Assess the impact on any dependent systems and communicate these accordingly.
- Respond to any questions and/or issues initiated by stakeholders and users.
- Manage the product backlog and keep it aligned with desired business outcomes and customer value.
- Ensure outages and critical failures are escalated for resolution and communicated to users using established channels.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Information Systems, Project Management, Business Management, or related degree
- Experience: Professional experience/certification in product ownership or business analysis is preferred
- Listening and observation skills, to understand what people say and to detect what they might be hesitant to say.
- Interviewing and questioning skills, to talk with individuals and groups about their needs and ask the right questions to surface essential requirements information.
- Strong analytical skills, to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding, distinguish presented user requests from the underlying true needs, and distinguish solution ideas from requirements.
- Facilitation skills, to lead meetings as needed.
- Leadership skills, to create a collaborative environment and influence people to move toward a common goal.
- Communication skills, to communicate information effectively and in appropriate forms to customers, stakeholders, management, and technical staff.
- Organizational skills, to work with the vast array of information gathered during elicitation and analysis and to cope with rapidly changing information.
- Interpersonal skills, to help negotiate priorities and resolve conflicts among project stakeholders
- Significant experience in working with software product development teams using Agile and Scrum.
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Jira, Confluence Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of current materials, methods, technology and practices of the Company
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT/TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk, and hear; the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Travel required: as required.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations. Nothing in this job description creates a contract of employment in any way for any person. All employees hired by ABC Supply Co., Inc. are employees at will and the Company reserves the right to terminate employees at any time for any reason or no reason at all.